THANK YOU for participating in the 2014 Photo Contest. The contest rules and guidelines follow below. A special thanks to Sandy Hedgepeth for her ongoing support.
Our 2013 winners included Terry Frankford, Sally Twinem, Logan McLeod, Emma Griffith, Karl Ford, Larry George, Francis Twinem, Judith Horn, Caroline Griffith, Michael Oelschlager, Judy Sargent, and Julie Doyle.
Our 2012 winners included Makeala Frankford, Mary Lou Johnson, Kristina Carreras, Victoria Holcomb, Larry George, Caroline Griffith, Ronald Hecox, Dick Plaff, and Terry Frankford.
Contest Theme – Celebrating the Beauty and Importance of Sarasota Bay
Areas of Focus – Any connection to Sarasota Bay or its tributaries and watersheds spanning Sarasota and Manatee County; this could include water, habitat, seascapes, people enjoying any bay recreation activities such as boating and fishing, bay related commerce, or any species of wildlife common to the bay’s ecosystem. Wildlife can include shorebirds, other birds, aquatic life, mammals, or any other wildlife.
Four Age Divisions:
- 12 and under
- 13 to 18
- 19 to 59
- 60 and older
- Contestants can enter up to three (3) submissions per individual.
- Prizes include first, second and third place ribbons for all four age divisions and a People’s Choice Award voted on by visitors at the water festival on November 1.
- Additional prizes for first and second place of each age division include gift certificates from Whole Foods Market.
- Each submission must be printed and mounted on a 16” X 20” foam core board that is 3/16” thick. The foam core board can be any color.
- The image itself can be any size, but not larger than 16” X 20”.
- The size of the image has no bearing on the winning submissions.
- Images can be color or black and white.
- Photos will be judged for photo quality, composition and adherence to the contest theme and areas of focus.
- All of the submissions must be photographs taken by the contest participant. Festival organizers recognize that parents and other adults may help younger children print and mount their contest submission.
- Submitted photos cannot be prior winning submissions to other photo contests.
- Please only submit photos that have been taken after November 1, 2011.
- Organizers recognizes that basic photo editing is part of processing digital files. The degree of alterations of photos including special effects will be at the discretion of the judges.
- Contest participants must complete the Photo Contest Form (link to the form at the top of this page), print a copy and affix it securely to the back of their submission. A second copy of the Photo Contest Form must be dropped off with your submission(s).
- The drop off location for all submissions will be posted in September and the information will include the time and days of the week that the drop off location is open.
- The September posting will include the last day for drop offs.
- Late drop offs will not be accepted.
- The contest judges will consider all of the submissions and select the final submissions to be displayed at the Sarasota Bay Water Festival on November 1, 2014.
- The decisions by the contest judges are final.
- The contest judges will select a first, second and third prize winner for each of the three age divisions prior to the festival. They will also award honorable mention ribbons.
- Custom ribbons for the selected winners will be posted next to the submission just ahead of the opening of the Water Festival on November 1, 2014.
- Visitors to the festival will have an opportunity to vote on a People’s Choice Award from the submissions selected to be displayed that have not already received a first, second or third place ribbon. Each submission will be numbered to make the voting process easier.
- The voting for the People Choice Award will take place from 10 am until 3 pm on November 1, 2014.
- Visitors will have one vote per person for the People’s Choice Award. Children are welcome to participate in the voting.
- Contest participants can pick up their submission(s) at the festival at 4 pm on November 1, 2014. Many participants donate their photo submission(s) for future marketing outreach. That includes the option of displaying select images at venues in Sarasota and Manatee County.
- Organizers will send a media release announcing the contest winners on Monday, November 3, 2014.
- Organizers will display a digital version of select winning photographs on the festival website and other companion websites. Any use of the contest images will credit the photographer by first and last name.
Thank you for participating in the I Love Sarasota Bay Photo Contest. Inquiries are welcome at email@example.com.