THANK YOU to everyone that submitted photos for this year’s contest. The wide variety of submissions impressed our judges. Congratulations to the 2013 winners: Terry Frankford, Sally Twinem, Logan McLeod, Emma Griffith, Karl Ford, Larry George, Francis Twinem, Judith Horn, Caroline Griffith, Michael Oelschlager, Judy Sargent, and Julie Doyle. Terry Frankford and Emma Griffith won first and second prize ribbons in their respective age group divisions. Caroline Griffith also won two ribbons in her age division. Julie Doyle won this year’s People’s Choice Award.
Terry Frankford, Caroline Griffith and Larry George won ribbons at the inaugural photo contest in 2012. We expect to see many repeat winners in the future given the quality of the submissions the past couple years.
A special thank you to Sandy Hedgepeth who was the volunteer coordinator supporting the photo contest. We are excited about rolling out the next contest for 2014 with more prizes. Thank you to photographers everywhere for capturing the beauty of our local wildlife and the scenic views associated with Sarasota Bay and its vital ecosystem.
Congratulations to the 2012 winners: Makeala Frankford of Sarasota, Mary Lou Johnson of Longboat Key, Kristina Carreras of Bradenton, Victoria Holcomb of Sarasota, Larry George of Lakewood Ranch, Caroline Griffith of Sarasota, Ronald Hecox of Parrish, Dick Plaff of Sarasota, and Terry Frankford of Sarasota.
Contest Theme – Celebrating the Beauty and Importance of Sarasota Bay
Areas of Focus – Any connection to Sarasota Bay or its tributaries and watersheds spanning Sarasota and Manatee County; this could include water, habitat, seascapes, people enjoying any bay recreation activities such as boating and fishing, bay related commerce, or any form of wildlife common to the bay’s ecosystem. Wildlife can include shorebirds, other birds, aquatic life, mammals, or any other wildlife.
Four Age Divisions:
- 12 and under
- 13 to 18
- 19 to 59
- 60 and older
2013 Rules & Guidelines: This information will be updated for 2014 in the spring with a media release announcing the 2014 Contest.
- The contest is free to enter with a limit of two submissions per individual.
- Prizes include first, second and third place ribbons for all four age divisions and a special People’s Choice Award voted on by visitors at the water festival.
- Additional prizes for first and second place of each age division include gift certificates from Whole Foods Market.
- Each submission must be printed and mounted on a 16” X 20” foam core board that is 3/16” thick. The foam core board can be any color.
- The image itself can be any size, but not larger than 16” X 20”.
- The size of the image has no bearing on the winning submissions.
- Images can be color or black and white.
- Photos will be judged for photo quality, composition and adherence to the contest theme.
- All of the submissions must be photographs taken by the contest participant. Festival organizers recognize that parents or other adults may help younger children print and mount their contest submission.
- Submitted photos cannot be prior winning submissions to other photo contests.
- Please only submit photos that have been taken after November 1, 2011.
- The SBWF recognizes that basic photo editing is a normal procedure for processing digital files. The degree of alterations of photos will be at the discretion of the judges.
- Contest participants must complete the Photo Contest Form (link to the form at the top of this page), print a copy and affix it securely to the back of their submission. A second copy of the Photo Contest Form must be dropped off with your submission.
- Submissions must be dropped off to Wells Fargo Advisors located at 7100 Beneva Road in Sarasota. Please drop off your submission(s) between 9am and 4:30pm on Tuesday, October 15 through Thursday, October 24 (excludes the weekend). That provides contest participants 8 potential drop off days prior to the deadline.
- The final deadline for dropping off all submissions is 4:30 pm on Thursday, October 24, 2013.
- Late drop offs will not be accepted.
- The contest judges will consider all of the submissions and select the final submissions to be displayed at the Sarasota Bay Water Festival on November 2, 2013.
- The decisions by the contest judges are final.
- The contest judges will select a first, second and third prize winner for each of the three age divisions prior to the festival. They will also award honorable mention ribbons.
- Custom ribbons for the selected winners will be posted next to the submission just ahead of the opening of the Water Festival on November 2, 2013.
- Visitors to the festival will have an opportunity to vote on a People’s Choice Award from the submissions selected to be displayed that have not already received a first, second or third place ribbon. Each submission will be numbered to make the voting process easier.
- The voting for the People Choice Award will take place from 10 am until 4 pm on November 2, 2013.
- Visitors will have one vote per person for the People’s Choice Award. Children are welcome to participate in the voting.
- Contest participants can pick up their submission(s) at the festival at 5 pm on November 2, 2013. Festival organizers will secure any submissions not picked up at this time. All of the individual submissions to the contest belong to the photographer unless they choose to donate their image(s) to the water festival.
- Festival organizers will send a media release announcing all of the winners on Monday, November 4, 2013.
- Festival organizers retain the option of displaying a digital version of any or all of the winning photographs on the festival website or the website for the Sarasota Bay Estuary Program. Any use of the contest images will credit the photographer by first and last name.
- Festival organizers may request that the winners of the photo contest submit a digital image for posting on the festival website or the SBEP website.
Thank you for participating in the I Love Sarasota Bay Photo Contest. Inquiries are welcome at email@example.com.